Button, Armstrong & Ness dates to the late 1800’s in Stouffville, Ontario, Canada. In 1894, James McCullough opened his law firm. In 1900, a Toronto firm, Lennox & Lennox also had a firm and Frederick Button joined that firm which became Lennox & Button in 1902.
In 1906, only 4 years later, Frederick Button opened his own practice at Sanders Block on Main Street in Stouffville. One winter day, James McCulloch, Frederick Button another Stouffville lawyer rshared a two-horse cutter to attend court in Whitby. That ride led to the formation of McCullough & Button in 1906. Mr. McCullough died in 1925. Button carried on and was eventually joined by his son, Reginald in 1946.
In 1912, Frederick Button built the house at 6361 Main Street as his family home. and 1967, Reginald Button moved his practice into that home and the firm continues to operate at that location. He was joined by J. Montgomery Armstrong, a long-time friend and law school classmate shortly thereafter and the firm Button & Armstrong was born!
In 1968, Gordon Ness joined the firm and it became Button, Armstrong & Ness. Eric Button, Reginald’s son joined the firm in 1972. Reginald Button retired in 1978 and Armstrong retired in 1990. Mr. Ness passed away in 2006. Kenneth Goodbrand joined the firm in Association in 1990. Ken continues to operate his own practice within the Button, Armstrong & Ness offices. The office continues to reflect the charm of the original Button family home.
In 2013, Richard Hanesiak opened his practice in the town of Stouffville continuing a successful career in both private practice in Mississauga Ontario and as a senior executive in the title insurance industry. After a number of transactions together, Richard and Eric started discussions with respect to the future of the law firm culminating in an agreement.
In 2017 the practice was incorporated as Button, Armstrong & Ness Professional Corporation and Richard acquired all the shares of the new company with Eric Button continuing as Counsel to the firm. We look forward to serving area residents and being part of the vibrant Town of Stouffville for another century.